31 August 2013

unexpected beginnings

Since January I figured after graduation I would be doing an internship for a year. Surprise! I didn't get the internship. I then basically sat around assuming everything would fall into place. Surprise! It didn't. I became embarrassed that as a near college graduate I didn't have it together. It became even more embarrassing when I was a college graduate and did not have it together. {if any of this seems cynical, it's on purpose. I want you understand that I was cynical. In fact, I was in denial that I would suddenly find a job or figure out my next move.} To my disbelief and unbelief, the Lord began opening doors and opportunities. All of a sudden I had options.

Which route did I take, you might ask? A new co-worker at the daycare told me of a possible opening at her non-summer job. It was a long shot. The job wasn't even listed online. Summer was nearly over, which means positions should have been filled. This might be cliche but it's the truth: my prayer became Your Will, Your Way. {still wondering; keep reading}  When I got an email for an interview, my chances were not as slim but still not a given. To help my odds, I sought guidance about dress and interview q's from those in this profession. Evaluating the interview, I thought it went great and figured it was in the bag. I waited by my phone the day they said they notify me. I felt like a smitten teenager constantly checking my phone for service and emails. I'm going to admit that my heart sank when I didn't get called or emailed. Regardless, my prayer still had to be the same. I was irritated that things were becoming reachable realities and then halted. Surprise! {3 days later} A simple phone call would let me know if this possibility continued onward or ceased. 

Surprise! How He blessed me. And more importantly taught me how to trust that He will provide for me, He will not fail , He will not neglect...but I also learned that I cannot sit on my couch not pulling my weight of the deal, of the applications, or the faith. {almost done; keep reading} I did one week of training and preparation to learn the ropes as much as possible, and now I have completed THREE full weekS at my new job. Yet, that first week of prep work wouldn't compare to what would come the following Monday.  

{REVEAL TIME!} 

Nothing or no one could brace me for the TWENTY-SEVEN kindergartners who now keep me busy, overwhelmed, and overjoyed. {You read correctly. That's not a keyboard error.} I have the pleasure of being a teacher assistant at the local elementary school. Those who know me know I have always said that I didn't want to teach in the States. {Technically, I'm not teaching. Nonetheless, I'm in the classroom.} I have always found it amazing how God can alter one's heart after surrender. Now at this stage of life, I could not see me doing an internship or having any other job than where I am. The 27 youngins have quickly captivated my heart and have taught me lessons parallel to how patient God is with me and my mistakes and how ceaseless His love is. In this unexpected beginning, I have found a place to serve, a place to give back, and a place to invest in mold-able children. 


“Most people want to be circled by safety, not by the unexpected. The unexpected can take you out. But the unexpected can also take you over and change your life. Put a heart in your body where a stone used to be.”
-Ron Hall, author of Same Different Kind of Me
 

No comments:

Post a Comment