24 August 2013

different kind of summer

In an earlier post, I wrote about how excited I was to live with three other girls and the hopeful fellowship and work full time at the daycare for the summer. Shortly after that post, a lot changed. And in one day I had to learn that despite people's stupidity and my reliance upon said people and cars, I have no control and should not try to have control over my circumstances or life. Instead, the control is all His.

{Here's the story. I also still don't find it funny like folks say when they look back at the then not-so-funny stories}

While a friend and I were preparing to leave Canton Flea Market, my car wouldn't start. The gear shift was disabled forcing the car to be stuck in neutral. While all of these went on, I got a message saying that a roommate backed out. This would force rent to go up. And in true domino effect, the higher rent forced another gal to drop out of summer leasing, which made the rent even higher. Needless to say, that day wasn't good. But as a mechanic temporarily fixed the car to be in Drive, I was blessed by my friend and her prayers, strangers' willingness to help, and family doing every thing in their might to get me home. 

So I didn't get the fellowship I initially thought I would find this summer. Instead the Lord provided fellowship through a co-worker and her daughters. It wasn't something I was looking for but was a gift that the Lord provided and boy did He know I needed it.

This summer also gave me the opportunity to have quality time with my brother and roomie. Lauren and I spontaneously decided to join my brother in Omaha to cheer on MSU for the College World Series Championship games. I am more thankful for those two days especially with Nicholas than I am for all the years since he moved off to college. Those two days gave me the chance to hang out with my brother in a different setting than we have ever had before and have quality brother/sister bonding time.


Do we even look related?
Why not go to Omaha?!
Moreover, this summer I had to grow up and get a big girl J-O-B and obtain more adult responsibilities. The next post will be about my job. :) I will go ahead and share that within the three weeks of turning in my job application and interviewing and waiting to hear back, He provided housing and dear friends who fervently prayed for the Lord's will over my life. These are my new roommates. Granted, I'm taking the place
of the lady {EB} to the far left and the gal in the middle back {Tera} is in France for the semester and as of yesterday the lady to the far right {Jenelle} is engaged! I've dearly loved the past three weeks filled with family time despite our crazy schedules, laughter at the expense of myself, memorable life events, and looked forward to the next year with them! 
EB, myself, Tera, Sara, Jenelle, and Meg in front center.



Obviously, this summer has been much different than my past three summers but still rewarding. No, I didn't work a camp or live in Europe for two months, but I did have great fellowship with new friends, made solid memories with old friends, and saw and am still seeing the Lord lead and provide each step.

1 comment:

  1. I am somehow just now reading this post, but it is just what I needed to read this weekend. Glad to be able to read about some of your memorable experiences (even the not so fun ones).

    ReplyDelete