01 May 2013

one bucket at a time.

Terrible blogger I know--i have all these blog posts running through my brain but haven't put thought to keyboard. So i apologize for the number of blogs coming out within the next week.

Originally this post was scheduled to release nearly a month ago...so lets pretend like it's April 13th.

This past weekend I had the joy of crossing the finish line of the hardest yet most exhilarating race of my life. As previously mentioned, I have been in training for a half marathon. That's 13.1 miles if you're wondering. I am not sure of the exact date I made "run half-marathon" a bucket list item, but I know that I wanted to run a half-marathon prior to graduating college.

It was a weekend of mixed emotions. I did not felt adequate to run since I only trained for a total of seven weeks (which is not looked upon highly). I pulled my back the weekend prior. And my sinuses have been messing up since January. But I have had this goal and was not backing down. I was slightly emotional prior to picking up my packet because with life's recent events and uncertainties, it felt good to be accomplishing a goal. It was something I have not been able to do in awhile.

To join me in the race was a dear friend, Jenelle. I randomly asked her one day if she wanted to run the half marathon with me and she willingly said yes. There was no begging on the knees or twisting of the arms. Neither of us realized the totality of what we were getting ourselves in. And that's for the best. If I knew how elated and joyful I would be as I crossed the finish line, there would not be as much excitement.

Nonetheless, Jenelle and I woke up at a ridiculous time to run through various districts of Jackson, painfully endure through what was labeled "gentle rolling hills," and end with gracious volunteers and strangers cheering us onward to the finish line. To make the bucketlist moment all the more special was my parents. They trekked over to see us commence the race and round the last corner of the race.

So if you think you can't run--don't believe it. Prove yourself wrong and gradually work your way up. A baby cannot instantly run. He must crawl and then walk. But even then, he will fall in the process. You too will fall and have bad days and struggle through a quarter of a mile, but if you keep working at it, you'll be able to accomplish what you set your mind to! Moreover, it's the same for our spiritual walk. Sanctification. Someone cannot magically do spiritual practices perfectly without working at it. Sanctification is a journey. One that has mountain tops and valley lows.



No comments:

Post a Comment