18 May 2012

Spring Semester Sprung

I remember growing up hearing folks say tell my mom that the years of high school would fly by for my brother. Six years later when it was time for my entry into high school, folks said the same thing. My momma even told me it would fly. And fly it did. I can recall the days of walking through my high school or attending the sporting events like it was two days ago. However, one thing I never heard folks say was how quicker college flew. In high school, I could NOT wait to move away and begin my life and enter the "real world"...or so I thought. Only by the Lord's sovereignty did I have two great years at the local community college. At first my dreams of moving away were dashed, but I grew to love my extra two years at home. And now, this past school year has been my first official time away from home to get that cliche college experience and dorm life. And I loved every second!! But what is worse than high school zooming by are my last three years of college speeding past me and here I am looking at the dirt it kicked up. People really should have braced me for the moment that I an uprising senior in college! My jaw drops right there! I have been longing for this moment ever since 9th grade...and now I wishing to rewind the clock some. Though I cannot rewind the clock I can sum for you how fabulous of a junior year I had.

When I say fabulous, that also includes: tears of pain, shouts of joy, confusion, LOTS of procrastination, anxiety, regret, faithfulness, and encouragement...all in one and you get my junior year. :)

Though this post is dedicated to Spring Semester, I must go back to the fall.
As soon as I got to Clinton, I knew that I had to get a job--at my mother's urging and my own desire. After weeks of looking at various daycares, I randomly called up a local church daycare and got positive news. Weeks of searching and anxiety were replaced with a reminder that He is faithful! It was only His sovereignty and provision that got me my job...and boy, have I loved it!! I got to meet ladies in all avenues of life and got to love on children that fill my heart with gladness. There have been days that it was rough to be patient and gentle with a child that is blatantly disobedient..but it is a reminder of how we treat our own Heavenly Father. I cannot imagine the heartache of my Father at my disobedience and the worlds. Thank goodness His love and forgiveness are unconditional! The little ones at work gave me some of the greatest joy. To have sweet children run up to me and wrap their arms around my legs without me prompting them to give me a hug have been some of my greatest memories from this year. These kids are 4 and 5 and they do not know the lessons they have taught me on love, obedience, and patience. My heart is in gratitude to bunch of great kids!

The issue of love and patience and timing are in the next post--hahaha get ready!

But within the realms of school, this spring semester was challenging but by my own faults. It was my poor decision to wait until the week of or night before to do reading assignments or papers that should have been down weeks prior. I shamefully admit my problem with procrastination. It seemed like one week after another I was bombarded with assignments. That's because I allowed them to stack up! Too many nights did I deny myself adequate sleep and rest because I stayed up until 3am, 5am, or the whole next day. I was determined to break my procrastination record of writing all my research papers the night before they were due. Thus, I did. I finished a crucial paper several days before it was due and never felt more relieved and satisfied with my work!! However, that same week I had another MAJOR MAJOR paper due. I thought it was due on a Friday but no one in my class could confirm such and all said it was due Thursday night at our class meeting. Oh by the way, this was Wednesday night I discovered this!!! Panic mode set in. To make all matters worse, I am the world's slowest writer. Not kidding!! Thus, I had less than 24 hours to write a research paper on the infamous US v. Nixon case. Once again, I was back to my old ways writing a paper the night before it was due. I hate to even admit what time I finished. But all I'll say is I finished it and the sun had already risen for a few hours. Bad, I know. Even though, I put myself through unnecessary suffering, it was great!! I met a few new friends in my classes and cherish our friendship. Boy, do I thank God for them and what they have meant to me. 

Aside from the classroom, I have thoroughly loved the dorm life. Some beautiful, Godly ladies lived on the same hall as I. From midnight run to Waffle House to weekly tv dates to off pitch singing to knockout dragouts with the roomie ;) to sketch dinner at ghetto Waffle House to midnight premiers to encouraging conversations of how the Lord is working in our lives and how perfect are His ways are small glimpses of the moments I shared with some great ladies on my hall.

Boy did He prove faithful when I was not. Great friendships, beautiful sunrises I see because I stayed up so late, wonderful and extremely gracious teachers, fabulous boss and co-workers, adorable children, and home away from home family are some of the ways the Lord has revealed Himself to me this Spring Semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment