17 July 2012

Salty, Sunny Sixth

A week of convictions, challenges, rejections, laughs, new friends, and sunshine! That is my sixth week in a nutshell. Feel free to stop there, but I promise you it will be much more rewarding for you to continue onward.

To say that Sunday was glorious does not do justice. Challenged and encouraged by the two services I attended. Both in which can be summed in one overarching theme: GO. and GO BOLDLY!
The morning international service I attended was led by a national who was a previous president and ceo of the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra. Small world! Later on in the evening, we attended the Roma church. Small room, little cool air circulation, many Roma, same great Creator. Joyful hearts made joyful noises unto our Father. And boy were they joyful!



This past week our volunteer team did a VBS for the precious Roma children. So many adorable children came and heard about Moses, about Redemption, sung some great songs, and were endlessly loved on. Kids kept coming each day; by Thursday, there was over 65 kids and youth!
Not many empty seats!

Reenacting Moses as a baby

Learned about Moses leading the people out of slavery at the park
On Monday, Amy and I walk in and they all scream our names. They bring such joy to my life and I know this past week they were bundles of joy to the volunteer team. How I am dreading leaving my adorable Roma kiddos behind. Meanwhile on Tuesday, we take a handful of small ones outside to teach them new songs. While we sing, we gather more kids and young teenage girls who have already had children. We were forced to move away from our strategic location of shade because our songs (not our voices) bothered the national. We found out Wednesday that the reason our songs bothered the man is because he is the man in charge of mosque down the alley. He complained to the Roma pastor but was quickly rebuked by the neighbors claiming that they (the Americans) were providing fun activities and food for the kids and that his religion did none of these.

The weekend proved to be just as exciting. Thursday I took the team to the flea market. They loved it. But wouldn't you love Ray-Ban lookalikes for 5$?! Moreover, wouldn't you have loved to see me carry back 2 plastic patio chairs from the flea market to the apartment. Friday we took 40 Roma children and the team to Petroland. To see oil? Nope. Water park! They loved it!! Fun day with lots of sun!

Danielle and Annabella

Great gals enjoying the lazy river

Amy and I had a delicious pancake folded with shaved chocolate and strawberries!




Saturday was just as fabulous! Part of Team Belgrade, the volunteer team, and the friends made by the volunteer team that could make it joined together at the cinema for The Amazing Spider-man 3D. Could you see a 3D opening weekend (just made its way here) movie for 500 RSD---$5.30?! No you cannot! Even more so, you cannot put a price tag on friendships. One sweet friendship developed this week with Mimi. I met her Wednesday night at our movie night and invited her to see Spidey in action. I firmly believe she is my Serbian twin! Though I've known her a week, I feel like we have been friends for years.

Needless to say, the sixth week of my summer in Europe has been frustrating at times but worth it to see Him be praised and glorified this week. Was it awesome or lame? Without a doubt, awesome!

Colossians 4:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment